The Art of Double Cleansing
Yep.. It’s an art
Most times one cleanse is not sufficient to cleanse your skin of sunscreen, make up or dirt. You cleanse and go over with a cotton pad n toner and you are appalled by what you see on the pad. You might wonder and think this is a no brainer, everyone knows what double cleansing is….but you would be surprised
Double cleansing is using two cleansers (duh!) to cleanse your face. First one to break up make up/oil and a second cleanser to clean your face.
What you need
– micellar water or eye make up remover (this may or may not be optional). I personally love the Garnier oil infused micellar water.
– oil or balm cleanser. My favourites are Heimish, Clinique, Bodyshop, DHC
– acid or hydrating cleanser (can be cream, milk or gel) . I usually alternate between acid and hydrating…depends on what my skin needs.
– device (optional) – flannel, cleansing brush (not a fan), loofah, Konjac sponge etc. Your hands are your best tools but I use flannels sometimes
– Wash your hands
– Personally, I like to use a cotton pad and micellar water to take off my mascara and lipstick first. This can also be your first cleanse by using a pad and micellar water all over your face. If you wore make up this may require several wipes and dragging a cotton pad or sheet across your skin (not great for your skin)
– Apply cleansing balm or oil to dry skin, massage in to remove oil and debris not forgetting hairline and neck (often neglected) add water to emulsify and rinse off or take off with a wet flannel (not dripping wet). Do not fill a bowl with water and dip the flannel in said bowl either.
– Next go in with your 2nd cleanser. A totally different cleanser. Can be an acid cleanser, hydrating cleanser or any cleanser at all. The choice is yours. Massage in for a minute. If you are like me and you leave on your cleansers as a mask, you can leave on for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off. Pat (not rub) your face dry and follow with the rest of your routine.
– facial wipes aren’t an option.
– washing your face twice with an acid cleanser is not double cleansing, you will only dry yourself out.
– always take off your make up first.
– if you didn’t wear make up but wore sunscreen, please double cleanse.
– you don’t need to double cleanse in the morning (except you fell asleep in your make up).
That’s all folks!
So…do you double cleanse?